Affiliation: Dairy Research Institute of Asturias, Spanish National Research Council. Paseo Río Linares s/n. 33300 Villaviciosa. Asturias. Spain.
Abelardo Margolles received his Ph.D. in Pharmacy at the University of Santiago de Compostela, Spain, in 1997. After a postdoctoral stay in the University of Groningen, The Netherlands (1997 to 2000), in 2001 he became Staff Scientist of the Spanish National Research Council (CSIC). Since 2003 he is a Principal Investigator at the Dairy Research Institute of Asturias (IPLA-CSIC).
Current research: My present research interest focuses on mechanistic studies of the health-promoting effects of bifidobacteria, the understanding of the molecular interactions between the intestinal bacteria and the host as well as the role of gut microbiota in health and disease.
- Sánchez B, Delgado S, Blanco-Míguez A, Lourenço A, Gueimonde M, Margolles A. 2017. Probiotics, gut microbiota and their influence on host health and disease. Molecular Nutrition & Food Research 61:doi: 10.1002/mnfr.201600240.
- López P, de Paz B, Rodríguez-Carrio J, Hevia A, Sánchez B, Margolles A, Suarez A. 2016. Th17 responses and natural IgM antibodies are related to gut microbiota composition in systemic lupus erythematosus patients. Scientific Reports 6:24072.
- Hevia A, Milani A, López P, Cuervo A, Díaz C, Turroni F, González S, Suárez A, Gueimonde M, Ventura M, Sánchez B, Margolles A. 2016. Allergic patients with long-term asthma display low levels of Bifidobacterium adolescentis. PLoS ONE 11:e0147809.
- Hevia A, Delgado S, Margolles A, Sánchez B. 2015. Application of density gradient for the isolation of the fecal microbial stool component and the potential use thereof. Scientific Reports 5:16807.
- Hidalgo-Cantabrana C, Sánchez B, Álvarez-Martín P, López P, Martínez-Álvarez N, Delley M, Martí M, Varela E, Suárez A, Antolín M, Guarner F, Berger B, Ruas-Madiedo P, Margolles A. 2015. A single mutation in the gene responsible for the mucoid phenotype of Bifidobacterium animalis subsp. lactis confers surface and functional characteristics. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 81:7960-7968.
- Hevia A, Milani C, López P, Cuervo A, Duranti S, Foroni E, González S, Turroni F, Suárez A, Gueimonde M, Ventura M, Sánchez B, Margolles A. 2014. Intestinal dysbiosis associated with Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. mBio 5:e01548-14.
- Bernardo D, Sánchez B, Hafid Al-Hassi O, Mann E, Urdaci M, Knight S, Margolles A. 2012. Microbiota/host crosstalk biomarkers: regulatory response of human intestinal dendritic cells exposed to Lactobacillus extracellular encrypted peptide. PLoS ONE7:e36262.
- Ruiz L, Zomer A, O'Connell-Motherway M, van Sinderen D, Margolles A. 2012. Discovering novel bile protection systems in Bifidobacterium breve UCC2003 through functional genomics. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 78:1123-1131.
- Ruiz L, Álvarez-Martín P, Mayo B, de los Reyes-Gavilán CG, Gueimonde M, Margolles A. 2012. Controlled gene expression in bifidobacteria by use of a bile-responsive element. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 78:581-585.
- Gueimonde M, Flórez AB, van Hoek AH, Stuer-Lauridsen B, Strøman P, de los Reyes-Gavilán CG, Margolles A. 2010. The genetic basis of tetracycline resistance in Bifidobacterium animalis subsp. lactis. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 76:3364-3369.