Team Leader, Laboratory for Intestinal Ecosystem, RIKEN Center for Integrative Medical Sciences, Japan
Team Leader of the Laboratory for Intestinal Ecosystem at RIKEN Center for Integrative Medical Sciences, Japan. He is also the Professor of the Division of Immunobiology, Department of Medical Life Science, Graduate School of Medical Life Science, Yokohama City University; the Professor of the Department of Immune Regulation, Graduate School of Medicine, Chiba University; and the Project Leader, Intestinal Microbiota Project, Kanagawa Institute of Industrial Technology and Sciencce.
Hiroshi trained as an immunologist in his Ph.D. program at the Chiba University, and learned cell biology, especially protein trafficking in the cell at NIH. By integrating his expertise in immunology and cell biology, he has been studying M cells, a subset of intestinal epithelial cells specialized for phagocytosis and transcytosis for taking up luminal particulate antigens such as bacteria to initiate mucosal immune responses. He is also interested in the impact of commensal microbiota in the intestine on physiology and pathology of the host.
- Kanaya T, Sakakibara S, Jinnohara T, Hachisuka M, Tachibana N, Hidano S, Kobayashi T, Kimura S, Iwanaga T, Nakagawa T, Katsuno T, Kato N, Akiyama T, Sato T, Williams IR, Ohno H.,Development of intestinal M cells and follicle-associated epithelium is regulated by TRAF6-mediated NF-kB signaling. J. Exp. Med. 215:501-519, 2018
- Sato K, Takahashi N, Kato T, Matsuda Y, Yokoji M, Yamada M, Nakajima T, Kondo N, Endo N, Yamamoto R, Noiri Y, Ohno H, Yamazaki K., Aggravation of collagen-induced arthritis by orally administered Porphyromonas gingivalis through modulation of the gut microbiota and gut immune system.Sci Rep. 2017 Jul 31;7(1):6955.
- Shimokawa C, Kanaya T, Hachisuka M, Ishiwata K, Hisaeda H, Kurashima Y, Kiyono H, Yoshimoto T, Kaisho T, Ohno H., Mast Cells Are Crucial for Induction of Group 2 Innate Lymphoid Cells and Clearance of Helminth Infections.Immunity. 2017 May 16;46(5):863-74
- Jinnohara T, Kanaya T, Hase K, Sakakibara S, Kato T, Tachibana N, Sasaki T, Hashimoto Y, Sato T, Watarai H, Kunisawa J, Shibata N, Williams IR, Kiyono H, Ohno H., IL-22BP dictates characteristics of Peyer's patch follicle-associated epithelium for antigen uptake.J Exp Med. 2017 Jun 5;214(6):1607-18.
- Furusawa Y, Obata Y, Fukuda S, Endo TA, Nakato G, Takahashi D, Nakanishi Y, Uetake C, Kato K, Kato T, Takahashi M, Fukuda NN, Murakami S, Miyauchi E, Hino S, Atarashi K, Onawa S, Fujimura Y, Lockett T10, Clarke JM, Topping DL, Tomita M, Hori S, Ohara O, Morita T, Koseki H, Kikuchi J, Honda K, Hase K, Ohno H., Commensal Microbe-derived Butyrate Induces the Differentiation of Colonic Regulatory T Cells. Nature. 2013 Dec 19;504(7480):446-50.
- Atarashi K, Tanoue T, Oshima K, Suda W, Nagano Y, Nishikawa H, Fukuda S, Saito T, Narushima S, Hase K, Kim S, Fritz JV, Wilmes P, Ueha S, Matsushima K, Ohno H, Olle B, Sakaguchi S, Taniguchi T, Morita H, Hattori M, Honda K., Treg Induction by a Rationally Selected Mixture of Clostridia Strains from the Human Microbiota. Nature. 2013 Aug 8;500(7461):232-6.
- Okada T, Fukuda S, Hase K, Nishiumi S, Izumi Y, Yoshida M, Hagiwara T, Kawashima R, Yamazaki M, Oshio T, Otsubo T, Inagaki-Ohara K, Kakimoto K, Higuchi K, Kawamura Y, Ohno H, Dohi T., Microbiota-derived Lactate Accelerates Colon Epithelial Cell Turnover in Starvation-refed Mice. Nat Commun. 2013;4:1654.
- Kanaya T, Hase K, Takahashi D, Fukuda S, Hoshino K, Sasaki I, Hemmi H, Knoop KA, Kumar N, Sato M, Katsuno T, Yokosuka O, Toyooka K, Nakai K, Sakamoto A, Kitahara Y, Jinnohara T, McSorley SJ, Kaisho T, Williams IR, Ohno H.,The Ets Transcription Factor Spi-B is Essential for the Differentiation of Intestinal Microfold Cells. Nat Immunol. 2012 Jun 17;13(8):729-36
- Fukuda S, Toh H, Hase K, Oshima K, Nakanishi Y, Yoshimura K, Tobe T, Clarke JM, Topping DL, Suzuki T, Taylor TD, Itoh K, Kikuchi J, Morita H, Hattori M, Ohno H., Bifidobacteria Can Protect from Enteropathogenic Infection Through Production of Acetate. Nature. 2011 Jan 27;469(7331):543-7. Doi: 10.1038/Nature09646.
- Hase K, Kawano K, Nochi T, Pontes GS, Fukuda S, Ebisawa M, Kadokura K, Tobe T, Fujimura Y, Kawano S, Yabashi A, Waguri S, Nakato G, Kimura S, Murakami T, Iimura M, Hamura K, Fukuoka S, Lowe AW, Itoh K, Kiyono H, Ohno H., Uptake Through Glycoprotein 2 of FimH(+) Bacteria By M Cells Initiates Mucosal Immune Response. Nature. 2009 Nov 12;462(7270):226-30.