Head of Institute of Experimental Medicine, Faculty of Medicine of Pavol Jozef Šafárik University in Košice, Skovakia
President of IPC2000-2015
Dr Alojz Bomba graduated both DVM and PhD in Veterinary Physiology and DSc in Veterinary Sciences from the University of Veterinary Medicine in Košice, Slovakia. He worked at Central Veterinary Hospital, Institute of Experimental Veterinary Medicine, Institute of Animal Physiology of the Slovak Academy of Sciences and University of Veterinary Medicine and Pharmacy in Košice, Slovakia. Since 2006, he works at the Institute of Experimental Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Pavol Jozef Šafárik University in Košice as a senior researcher and the head of the Institute. Research studies of this institute focus on the role of gut microbiota in pathogenesis of chronic diseases and the possibilities of their prevention and therapy using probiotic microorganisms and bioactive natural compounds. He was principal investigator and co-investigator of the 19 national research projects (12 of them focused on applied research). He was principal investigator of the partner in an international consortium of the project of the 6th EU Framework Programme “Plants and their extracts and other natural alternatives to antimicrobials in feeds” (coordinated by Dr R. J. Wallace from the Rowett Research Institute in Aberdeen, UK). Currently, he is principal investigator of the project titled: “The role of intestinal microflora in pathogenesis of atherosclerosis and colorectal cancer and possibilities of its modulation in prevention of both diseases” which comprises whole personnel of the institute.
Dr Bomba is the President of the International Scientific Conferences on Probiotics and Prebiotics. He is author of the concept of potentiated probiotics. Dr Bomba established a gnotobiotic laboratory which is the only one of its kind in Slovak Republic. Dr Bomba is the author of 60 referred scientific papers registered in CC and 5 book chapters. In 2003, Dr Alojz Bomba was awarded for the development of science in veterinary medicine area by the Slovak Academy of Agricultural Sciences. In 2012, the I. I. Mechnikov Institute of Microbiology and Immunology of Ukrainian Academy of Medical Sciences granted him the honorary title "Honored Professeur". In the same year, he was awarded by the Price of Mayor of Košice city for contribution in establishment of the center integrating the potential of institutes in research and the use of probiotics and natural bioactive compounds in human and veterinary medicine.
Honors & Awards:
The honorary title "Honored Professeur" granted by I. I. Mechnikov Institute of Microbiology and Immunology of Ukrainian Academy of Medical Sciences. September 2012
- Project VEGA 1/0279/13 The role of intestinal microflora in pathogenesis of atherosclerosis and colorectal cancer and possibilities of its modulation in both diseases prevention
- Project NFP26220120109 Center of Excellence for research of factors influencing the health in marginalised and imunocompromised people (Agency of the Ministry of Education, Science, Research and Sport of the Slovak Rep. for Structural Funds of the EU)
- Project NFP26220220244 probiotic microorganisms and bioactive compopnents of natural origin for healthier population of Slovakia (Agency of the Ministry of Education, Science, Research and Sport of the Slovak Rep. for Structural Funds of the EU)
- Project NFP26220220152 Competence Center for biomodulators and nutritional supplements Agency of the Ministry of Education, Science, Research and Sport of the Slovak Rep. for Structural Funds of the EU)
- Štofilová, J., Szabadosová, V., Hrčková, G., Salaj, R., Bertková, I., Hijová, E., Strojný, L., Bomba, A. 2015. Co-administration of a Probiotic Strain Lactobacillus Plantarum LS/07 CCM7766 with Prebiotic Inulin Alleviates the Intestinal Inflammation in Rats Exposed To N,N- Dimethylhydrazine. International Immunopharmacology 24, 361–368.
- Bomba, A., Strojný L., Salaj, R., Štofilová, J.: Modulation of Gut Microflora in the Prevention of Atherosclerosis and Cancer Using Probiotics and Prebiotics. In: Ravishankar Rai V and Jamuna A. Bai (eds.): Beneficial Microbes in Fermented and Functional Foods. CRC Press, 2015, 413 -436.
- Kassayová, M., Bobrov N., Strojný, L., Kisková T., Mikeš, J., Demečková, V., Orendáš, P., Bojková, B., Péč, M., Kubatka, P., Bomba, A. 2014. Preventive Effects of Probiotic Bacteria Lactobacillus Plantarum and Dietary Fiber in Chemically Induced Mammary Carcinogenesis. Anticancer Research, 34, 4969-4976.
- Salaj R., Štofilová J., Šoltesová A., Hertelyová Z., Hijová E., Bertková I., Strojný L., Kružliak P., Bomba A. 2013. The Effects of Two Lactobacillus Plantarum Strains on Rat Lipid Metabolism Receiving a High Fat Diet. The Scientific World Journal, Volume 2013, Article ID 135142, 7 pages,
- Bomba, A., Brandeburová, A., Ričanyová, J., Strojný, L., Chmelarová, A., Szabadosová, V., Pramuková, B., Žofčáková, J., Salaj, R., Supuková, A., Čokášová, D. 2012. The Role of Probiotics and Natural Bioactive Compounds in Modulation of the Common Molecular Pathways in Pathogenesis of Atherosclerosis and Cancer. Biologia, 67, 1, 1-13.
- Hijová, E., Bomba, A., Bertková, I., Strojný, L., Szabadosová, V., Šoltésová, A. 2012. Prebiotics and Bioactive Natural Substances Induce Changes of Composition and Metabolic Activities of the Colonic Microflora in Cancerous Rats. Acta Biochimica Polonica, 59, 2, 271-274.
- Strojný, L., Bomba, A., Hijová, E., Chmelárová, A., Mojžišová, G., Bertková, I., Koprovičová, J., Pomfy, M., Strompfová, V., Molokáčová M. 2011. Effects of a Probiotic in Combination with Prebiotics on Intestinal Lactobacilli and Coliforms and Activities of Bacterial Enzymes in 1,2-Dimethylhydrazine Exposed Rats. Czech Journal of Animal Science 56, 3, 99-106
- Bertková, I., Hijová, E., Chmelárová, A., Mojžišová, G., Petrášová, D., Strojný, L., Bomba, A., Žitňan, R. 2010. The Effect of Probiotic Microorganisms and Bioactive Compounds on Chemically Induced Carcinogenesis in Rats. Neoplasma, 5, 422-428