Sin-Hyeog Im PhD.
President of IPC2016 and Chairman of Scientific Committee IPC2016
Group leader/Professor, Academy of Immunology and Microbiology (AIM), Institute for Basic Science (IBS), and Pohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH), Republic of Korea
Dr. Im completed his PhD degree at the department of immunology, Weizmann Institute of Science by studying the development of antigen-specific immunotherapy to treat autoimmunity using experimental myasthenia gravis as a model. He then completed post-doctoral training at the Harvard Medical School where his work focused on the epigenetic regulation of cytokine gene regulation in the CD4 T. Dr. Im is currently Professor in the Division of Integrative Biosciences and Biotechnology, Pohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH) and a Group leader, Academy of Immunology and Microbiology (AIM), Institute for Basic Science (IBS), KOREA, where he is applying this training to understanding how our immune system maintains immune homeostasis by balancing between the immunity and tolerance. His research provide a close link between basic research and translational approach to treat hyper-immune disorders such as autoimmunity and allergic disorders.
Research Interests: Dr. Im's laboratory has five main areas of interest: 1) Role of transcription factors (Ets1 and NFAT1) in immune regulation and Tolerance 2) Molecular mechanism of IL-10 gene regulation in lymphocytes and antigen presenting cells (DCs and macrophages). 3) Elucidation of the signaling pathways and underlying mechanism for IL-10 generation by probiotics. 4). Characterization of regulatory DCs and iTreg cells induced by probiotics. 5) Development of antigen-specific immunotherapy for autoimmune disorders (Myasthenia gravis and rheumatoid arthritis)
Probiotics, microbiota and Immune regulation.
- Toll-like receptor 5 ligand flagellin-based immunomodulatory therapy for allergic asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2015. 2015 Aug 21. pii: S0091-6749(15)00952-5
- Salmonella typhimurium suppresses tumor growth via the pro-inflammatory cytokine interleukin-1β. Theranostics. 2015 5(12) 1328-1342
- Family 5 extracellular solute-binding protein (ESbP) derived from Bifidobacterium longum KACC 91563 alleviates food allergy through suppression of mast cells. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2015. Sep 30. pii: S0091-6749(15)01240
- The probiotic mixture IRT5 ameliorates age-dependent colitis in rats. Int Immunopharmacol. 2015 Jun;26(2):416-22
- Lactobacillus Helveticus Suppresses Experimental Rheumatoid Arthritis by Reducing Inflammatory T Cell Responses. J Funct Foods 2015. 350-362
- Amelioration of Experimental Autoimmune Encephalomyelitis by Probiotic Mixture is Mediated by a Shift in T Helper Cell Immune Response.Clin Immunol. 2013,46(3):217-27.
- Prophylactic Effect of Probiotics on The Development of Experimental Autoimmune Myasthenia Gravis. Plos One. 2012;7(12):E52119
- Immune Disorders and its Correlation with Gut Microbiome. Immune Netw. 2012 Aug;12(4):129-38
- Lactobacillus Casei Enhances Type II Collagen/Glucosamine-Mediated Suppression of Inflammatory Responses in Experimental Osteoarthritis.Life Sci. 2011 Feb 14;88(7-8):358-66.
- Generation of Regulatory Dendritic Cells and CD4+Foxp3+ T Cells by Probiotics Administration Suppresses Immune Disorders.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010 Feb 2;107(5):2159-64
- Lactobacillus Casei Potentiates Induction of Oral Tolerance in Experimental Arthritis. Mol Immunol. 2008 Nov;46(1):172-80.
- Lactobacillus Casei Suppresses Experimental Arthritis by Down-Regulating T Helper 1 Effector Functions.Mol Immunol. 2008 May;45(9):2690-9.
Immune Tolerance In Health And Disease
- TAGLN2 regulates T cell activation by stabilizing the actin cytoskeleton at the immunological synapse. J Cell Biol. 2015 Apr 13;209(1):143-62
- NAMPT suppresses glucose deprivation-induced oxidative stress by increasing NADPH levels in breast cancer. Oncogene. 2015 In press
- NFAT1 and Junb Cooperatively Regulate the IL-31 Gene Expression In CD4+ T Cells in Health And Disease. J Immunol, 2015: 194(4). 194(4): 1963-1974.
- 6-Methoxyflavone Suppresses T Cell Activation by Inhibiting NFAT1 Translocation into the Nucleus. J Immunol, 2014;193(6):2772-83.
- Hypoxia-Inducible Factor-2a is an Essential Catabolic Regulator of Inflammatory Rheumatoid Arthritis Plos Biology. 2014: 12(6)E1001881.
- Role of Blimp-1 in Programing the Effector Cells into IL-10 Producers. 2014. J Exp Med. 2014;211(9):1807-19
- Imageable Antigen-presenting Gold Nanoparticle Vaccines for Effective Cancer Immunotherapy in Vivo. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl. 2012 Aug 27;51(35):8800-5
- NFAT1 Induced Permissive Chromatin Modification Facilitates NF-Κb Mediated IL-9 Transactivation. J Biol Chem. 2012 May 4;287(19):15445-57
- Interaction of Ets-1 with HDAC1 Represses IL-10 Expression in T Helper 1 Cells. J Immunol. 2012;188(5):2244-253
- IGSF4 is a Novel TCRz-Chain-Interacting Protein that Enhances TCR-Mediated Signaling. J Exp Med. 2011 Nov 21;208(12):2545-60.