Prof. Dr. Wilhelm Holzapfel
Professor, Handong Global University, Pohang, South Korea.
President, International Committee on Food Microbiology and Hygiene (ICFMH)
Wilhelm Holzapfel obtained his doctorate (Dr. rer. nat.) at the Technical University of München, Germany, at the age of 27. He joined the University of Pretoria, RSA, first as Senior Lecturer in Microbiology in 1972, and was promoted to Associate Professor (1982-1984) and Full Professor (1985-1987). He was head and director of the Institute for Hygiene and Toxicology in Karlsruhe, Germany, from November 1987 to January 2007, and was also Hon. Professor for Industrial Microbiology from 1996 to 2007 at the Technical University of Karlsruhe (now KIT), and was also extraordinary Professor for Microbiology at Stellenbosch University, RSA, until 2007. Presently he is Chair Professor at the Graduate School of Advanced Green Energy and Environment (AGEE), and is also associated with the School of Life Sciences at Handong Global University, South Korea. He is president of the ICFMH of the IUMS (International Committee on Food Microbiology and Hygiene of the International Union of Microbiological Societies) since 1996. He has published over 300 scientific papers, 63 book chapters and edited five scientific books. He is member of various microbiological societies and honorary member of the Hungarian Society of Microbiology. He has also presented various keynote and plenary lectures at international meetings. His major interest is in the lactic acid bacteria, their physiology, functionality, taxonomy, biodiversity and role in different ecosystems. Present research focus is on probiotics and their impact on gut microbiota.
- Wood, B. J. ,WH Holzapfel (2014). Lactic Acid Bacteria. Wiley.
- Todorov, S.D., Vaz-Velho, M., De Melo Franco, B.D.G. And Holzapfel, W.H., 2013. Partial Characterization of Bacteriocins Produced by Three Strains of Lactobacillus Sakei, Isolated from Salpicao, A Fermented Meat Product from North-West of Portugal. Food Control 30: 111-121.
- Ji, Y., Kim, H., Park, H., Lee, J., Lee, H., Shin, H.-K., Kim, B., Franz, C.M.A.P. And Holzapfel, W.H., 2013. Functionality and Safety of Lactic Bacterial Strains from Korean Kimchi. Food Control 31: 467-473
- Todorov, S. D., Vaz-Velho, M., De Melo Franco, B. D. G., & Holzapfel, W. H. (2013). Partial Characterization of Bacteriocins Produced by Three Strains of Lactobacillus Sakei, Isolated from Salpicao, a Fermented Meat Product from North-West of Portugal. Food Control, 30(1), 111-121.
- Ji, Y.S., Kim, H.N., Park, H.J., Lee, J.E., Yeo, S.Y., Yang, J-.S., Park, S.Y., Yoon, H.S., Cho, G.S., Franz, C.M.A.P., Bomba, A., Shin, H.K. And H. Holzapfel, W.H., 2012. Modulation of the Murine Microbiome with a Concomitant Anti-obesity Effect by Lactobacillus Rhamnosus GG and Lactobacillus Sakei NR28. Beneficial Microbes 3(1): 13-22.
- Yoon, H., Ju, J., Kim, H., Park, H., Ji, Y., Le, J., Shin, H., Do, M. And Holzapfel, W., 2012. Reduction in Cholesterol Absorption in Caco-2 Cells Through the Down-Regulation of Niemann-Pick C1-Like 1 by the Putative Probiotic Strains Lactobacillus Rhamnosus BFE5264 and Lactobacillus Plantarum NR74 from Fermented Foods. International Journal Oof Food Sciences and Nutrition, 2012, Early Online: 1–9.
- Becker, B., Weiss, C., & Holzapfel, W. H. (2009). An Evaluation of the Use of Three Phenotypic Test-systems for Biochemical Identification of Enterobacteriaceae and Pseudomonadaceae. Food Control, 20(9), 815-821.
- Schillinger, U., Guigas, C., & Heinrich Holzapfel, W. (2005). In Vitro Adherence and Other Properties of Lactobacilli Used in Probiotic Yoghurt-Like Products. International Dairy Journal, 15(12), 1289-1297.
- Holzapfel, W. H., & Baumgart, J. (2004). Lexicon of Food Microbiology and Hygiene.
- Bover-Cid, S., & Holzapfel, W. H. (1999). Improved Screening Procedure for Biogenic Amine Production by Lactic Acid Bacteria. International Journal of Food Microbiology, 53(1), 33-41.