Clara Garcia Rodenas
Affiliation: R&D Expert in Preterm & Infant Nutrition, Nutrition & Health Research, Nestlé Research Centre, Lausanne, Switzerland
I trained as a Biologist and hold a Ph.D. in Nutrition from the University of Murcia in Spain. My research focused on the impact of processing on the digestibility and nutritional quality of baby foods. I then got a 1-year postdoc fellowship at the University of Monpellier II (France) to investigate the bioavailability and biodegradability of edible protein films. I joined Nestle in 1994 and had been working since then at the Nestle Research Center (NRC), except for 1 year spent at the Nestlé R&D center of New Mildford (US) and a sabbatical period at the McMaster University (Hamilton, CA). Major areas of research along this time include the influence of protein digestion and protein digestion rate on protein metabolism and, more recently, the impact of functional ingredients, in particular pre- and probiotics, on the immature gut physiology.
My current research focuses on the pathophysiology of functional gastrointestinal disorders during infancy, infantile colic in particular. I am also responsible for the focus areas “Preterm and SGA Nutrition” and “Gut Comfort and Well-Being” within the 1st 1000 days and Healthy Kids Research Program in our center.
- Garcia-Rodenas, C. L.; Lepage, M.; Ngom-Bru, C.; Fotiou, A.; Papagaroufalis, K.; Berger, B. Effect of Formula Containing Lactobacillus reuteri DSM 17938 on Fecal Microbiota of Infants Born by Cesarean-Section (2016) Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, March 28 [Epub ahead of print]
- Donato-Capel, L., Garcia-Rodenas, C.L., Pouteau, E., Lehmann, U., Srichuwong, S., Erkner, A., Kolodziejczyk, E., Hughes, E., Wooster, T.J., Sagalowicz, L. Technological Means to Modulate Food Digestion and Physiological Response (2014) Food Structures, Digestion and Health, pp. 389-422.
- Castañeda-Gutiérrez, E., Moser, M., García-Ródenas, C., Raymond, F., Mansourian, R., Rubio-Aliaga, I., Viguet-Carrin, S., Metairon, S., Ammon-Zufferey, C., Avanti-Nigro, O., Macé, K., Silva-Zolezzi, I. Effect of a mixture of bovine milk oligosaccharides, Lactobacillus rhamnosus NCC4007 and long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids on catch-up growth of intra-uterine growth-restricted rats (2014) Acta Physiologica, 210 (1), pp. 161-173.
- Natividad, J.M.M., Hayes, C.L., Motta, J.-P., Jury, J., Galipeau, H.J., Philip, V., Garcia-Rodenas, C.L., Kiyama, H., Bercik, P., Verdú, E.F. Differential induction of antimicrobial REGIII by the intestinal microbiota and Bifidobacterium breve NCC2950 (2013) Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 79 (24), pp. 7745-7754.
- Natividad, J.M.M., Petit, V., Huang, X., De Palma, G., Jury, J., Sanz, Y., Philpott, D., Garcia Rodenas, C.L., McCoy, K.D., Verdu, E.F. Commensal and probiotic bacteria influence intestinal barrier function and susceptibility to colitis in Nod1-/-;Nod2-/- Mice (2012) Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, 18 (8), pp. 1434-1446.