Current affiliation: Universidade Católica Dom Bosco/Universidade Católica de Brasília
Title of your presentation: Development of novel pharmacies by using antimicrobial and antiviral bacteriocins
Graduate at Ciências Biológicas from Universidade Federal do Ceará (1998) and ph.d. at Biochemistry and Molecular Biology from Universidade de Brasília (2001). Actually is head professor from Universidade Catolica Dom Bosco and Universidade Catolica de Brasilia, visiting professor from Universidade Federal de Juiz de Fora, researcher from the Post-Graduation program of Physics Education from UCB, researcher from Universidade de Brasilia at the program of Molecular Pathology adn researcher from CNPq. At the moment is consultor of CNPq, FAPEMIG, FINEP, FAPDF, FUNDCET, FAPEMA, FUNDECT, FUNCAP, CPP, FONCYT, CONICYT, FAPESB, FACEPE, Kazakistan government, BARD United States - Israel Binational Agricultural Research and Development Fund, Austrian Science Fundation, Gates Foundation e National Science Foundation (NSF) US .Member of Sociedade Brasileira de Bioquimica e Biologia Molecular (SBBq), The American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (ASBMB) and American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS). Published more than 250 manuscripts and is editor and referee of multiple journals,
Has experience in Biochemistry, proteomics and molecular modeling. Acting on the following subjects: antimicrobial peptides, immunomodulators, antifreezing and proteome of animals, plants and microorganisms. Also have his work focused on the development of bioproducts and bioprocesses.
Selected recent publications:
- Characterization of a Bioactive Acyclotide from Palicourea rigida. Pinto MF, Silva ON, Viana JC, Porto WF, Migliolo L, B da Cunha N, Gomes N Jr, Fensterseifer IC, Colgrave ML, Craik DJ, Dias SC, Franco OL. J Nat Prod. 2016 Nov 3. [Epub ahead of print]
- Mastoparan is a membranolytic anti-cancer peptide that works synergistically with gemcitabine in a mouse model of mammary carcinoma. Hilchie AL, Sharon AJ, Haney EF, Hoskin DW, Bally MB, Franco OL, Corcoran JA, Hancock RE. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2016 Dec;1858(12):3195-3204. doi: 10.1016/j.bbamem.2016.09.021.
- An anti-infective synthetic peptide with dual antimicrobial and immunomodulatory activities. Silva ON, de la Fuente-Núñez C, Haney EF, Fensterseifer IC, Ribeiro SM, Porto WF, Brown P, Faria-Junior C, Rezende TM, Moreno SE, Lu TK, Hancock RE, Franco OL. Sci Rep. 2016 Nov 2;6:35465. doi: 10.1038/srep35465.
- The Effects of Acute and Chronic Exercise on Skeletal Muscle Proteome. Petriz BA, Gomes CP, Almeida JA, de Oliveira GP Jr, Ribeiro FM, Pereira RW, Franco OL. J Cell Physiol. 2017 Feb;232(2):257-269. doi: 10.1002/jcp.25477. Review.
- Functionalization of nanostructures for antibiotic improvement: an interdisciplinary approach. Saúde A, Franco OL. Ther Deliv. 2016 Nov;7(11):761-771.
- Anxiolytic-like effect of a novel peptide isolated from the venom of the social wasp Synoeca surinama. Gomes FM, Paniago CK, Freire DO, Souza AC, Lima MR, Oliveira-Júnior NG, Franco OL, Mortari MR. Toxicon. 2016 Nov;122:39-42. doi: 10.1016/j.toxicon.2016.09.015.
- Insulin-like plant proteins as potential innovative drugs to treat diabetes-The Moringa oleifera case study. Paula PC, Oliveira JT, Sousa DO, Alves BG, Carvalho AF, Franco OL, Vasconcelos IM. N Biotechnol. 2016 Oct 11. pii: S1871-6784(16)32460-8. doi: 10.1016/j.nbt.2016.10.005. [Epub ahead of print]
- Structural impact analysis of missense SNPs present in the uroguanylin gene by long-term molecular dynamics simulations. Marcolino AC, Porto WF, Pires ÁS, Franco OL, Alencar SA. J Theor Biol. 2016 Dec 7;410:9-17. doi: 10.1016/j.jtbi.2016.09.008.
- Bacterial Contribution in Chronicity of Wounds. Rahim K, Saleha S, Zhu X, Huo L, Basit A, Franco OL. Microb Ecol. 2016 Oct 14. [Epub ahead of print] Review.
- Designing metallodrugs with nuclease and protease activity. Agbale CM, Cardoso MH, Galyuon IK, Franco OL. Metallomics. 2016 Nov 9;8(11):1159-1169.