Faculty FBD / Department Pharmaceutical Sciences / University of Antwerp
Title of presentation: Spray-drying of Probiotic Bacteria as an Important Step Towards the Development of Novel Pharmabiotics
Prof. Dr. Filip Kiekens obtained his PhD in Pharmaceutical Technology at the University of Ghent (Belgium) in 2000. At Janssen Pharmaceutica, he was responsible for pharmaceutical development of several drug development projects, from early preclinical Phase to commercialization. He introduced innovative technologies and drug delivery systems, leading a group of formulation scientists. Since 2012 he is leading the Laboratory of Pharmaceutical Technology (University of Antwerp).
Drug delivery, Probiotics, spray-drying, freeze-drying, nanoparticles.
Selected recent publications(10):
- Evaluation of a newly developed HPMC ophthalmic insert with sustained release properties as a carrier for thermolabile therapeutics, Everaert, A; Broeckx, G; Fransen, E; Ludwig, A; Weyenberg, W; Kiekens, F; International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 2015. 481, 37-46.
- Mixed hemi/ad-micelles coated magnetic nanoparticles for the entrapment of hemoglobin at the surface of a screen-printed carbon electrode and its direct electrochemistry and electrocatalysis; Amiri-Aref M, Raoof JB, Kiekens F, De Wael K.; Biosens Bioelectron. 2015 Jul 5;74:518-525
- Mixed hemi/ad-micelle SDS-coated magnetic iron oxide nanoparticles for the efficient removal and trace determination of rhodamine-B and rhodamine-6G. Ranjbari E, Hadjmohammadi MR, Kiekens F, De Wael K.; Anal Chem. 2015 Jul 8.
- Drying techniques of probiotic bacteria as an important step towards the development of novel pharmabiotics. Géraldine Broeckx, Dieter Vandenheuvel, Ingmar J.J. Claes, Sarah Lebeer, Filip Kiekens. International Journal of Pharmaceutics, Volume 505, Issues 1–2, 30 May 2016, Pages 303–318
- Fenofibrate Dogs,In vivo performance of fenofibrate formulated with ordered mesoporous silica versus two marketed formulations: A comparative bioavailability study in beagle dogs. , Katarina Bukara, Laurent Schueller, Jan Rosier, Tinne Daems, Loes Verheyden, Siemon Eelen, Johan A. Martens, Guy Van den Mooter, Branko Bugarski, Filip Kiekens, Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 105, 2381-2385, 2016
- Ordered mesoporous silica to enhance the bioavailability of poorly water-soluble drugs: Proof of concept in man, Katarina Bukara, Laurent Schueller, Jan Rosier, Mark A. Martens, Tinne Daems, Loes Verheyden, Siemon Eelen, Michiel Van Speybroeck, Cristian Libanati, Johan A. Martens, Guy Van Den Mooter, Françoise Frérart, Koen Jolling, Marjan De Gieter, Branko Bugarski, Filip Kiekens, European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, 2016, 108, 220-235
- Comparative studies on osmosis based encapsulation of diclofenac sodium in porcine and outdated human erythrocyte ghosts.Katarina Bukara, Ivana Drvenica, Vesna Ilić, Ana Stančić, Danijela Mišić, Borislav Vasić, Radoš Gajić, Dušan Vučetić, Filip Kiekens, Branko Bugarski. Journal of Biotechnology, 2016, 240, 14–22