Harinder P.S. Makkar
Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
Brief profile: Harinder P.S. Makkar is working as Animal Production Officer at FAO, Rome since 2010. Before joining FAO he was Mercator Professor at University of Hohenheim, Stuttgart, Germany. He has published over 250 research papers. He obtained PhD from University of Nottingham, U.K. and Dr. Habilitation from University of Hohenheim. He has also worked at the International Atomic Energy Agency, Vienna for 7 years. He has been awarded Honorary Professorships by Universities in China and Mongolia; and has been a fellow of Commonwealth Association, UK; Humboldt Foundation, Germany; and Japanese Society for the promotion of Science, Japan.
Selected recent publications:
- Probiotics in animal nutrition – Production, impact and regulation by Yadav S. Bajagai, Athol V. Klieve, Peter J. Dart and Wayne L. Bryden. Editor Harinder P.S. Makkar. FAO Animal Production and Health Paper No. 179. Rome.
- M. Wadhwa, M.P.S. Bakshi and Harinder P.S. Makkar. 2016. Modifying gut microbiomes in large ruminants: Opportunities in non-intensive husbandry systems. doi:10.2527/af.2016-0020. Animal Frontiers 2016 6:27-36
- Ruane, John, J.D. Dargie, C. Mba, P. Boettcher, H.P.S. Makkar, D.M. Bartley, Sonnino, editors. Biotechnologies at Work for Smallholders: Case Studies from Developing Countries in Crops, Livestock and Fish, FAO, Rome, Italy. http://www.fao.org/docrep/018/i3403e/i3403e.pdf
- Makkar, H.P.S. (2013). Precision feeding: A developing countries perspective for sustainable animal production. In: Precision Livestock Farming '13, Publisher: EAAP, Editors: D. Berckmans, J. Vandermeulen, pp.95-105.
- Kumar, V., Amit K. Sinha, Harinder P.S. Makkar, Klaus Becker. 2014. Chapter:Dietary roles of fiber on the clinical health of gastrointestinal tract of humans. Advanced Nutrition and dietetics in Gastroenterology, 1 edited by Miranda Lomer, 08/2014: chapter Dietary roles of fiber on the clinical health of gastrointestinal tract of humans; Wiley-Blackwell., ISBN: 978-0-470-67132-0
- Makkar, H.P.S. 2016. Animal nutrition in a 360-degree view and a framework for future R&D work: towards sustainable livestock production. Animal Production Science. http://dx.doi.org/10.1071/AN15265
- Makkar, H.P.S. 2016. Smart livestock feeding strategies for harvesting triple gain – the desired outcomes in planet, people and profit dimensions: a developing country perspective. Animal Production Science, 2016, 56, 519–534. http://dx.doi.org/10.1071/AN15557
- Makkar, H.P.S., Gilles Tran, Valérie Heuzé, Sylvie Giger-Reverdin, Michel Lessire, Franc Lebas and Philippe Ankers. 2016 Seaweeds for livestock diets: A review. Animal Feed Science and Technology 212: 1-17.
- Bindari, Y.R.and Makkar, H.P.S. 2016. Towards implementation of sustainable animal diets: evidence generation, perspective building and way forward. CAB Reviews 11, No. 029, pp. 1-27.
- van Empel, M.J.M., Makkar, H.P.S., Dijkstra, J. and Lund, P. 2016. Nutritional, technological and managerial parameters for precision feeding to enhance feed nutrient utilization and productivity in different dairy cattle production systems. CAB Reviews 11. (In press).