Dr. Kim is the research director at ChunLab, Inc, microbiome and bioinformatics company in Korea. Dr. Kim received Ph.D. degree from Newcastle University, and did post-doctoral training at the same University. He was a research scientist at National Institute of Agricultural Sciences, Korea prior to joining to ChunLab in 2013. Dr. Kim has successfully conducted diverse research projects. He also published numerous peer-reviewed research papers in the field of microbiome, microbial genomics and systematics.
His research has been focused on microbial community analysis and bacterial systematic based on (meta) genomic data. ChunLab research group is the world's leading specialists in bioinformatics solutions for next-generation sequencing in the areas of microbial genomics and microbiome. Using its proprietary and breakthrough algorithms and statistical analyses, ChunLab research group have developed intuitive and user-friendly bioinformatic tools that allow researchers to perform cutting-edge research with improvements in speed and depth of analysis. ChunLab was founded in 2009 by Dr. Jongsik Chun who is the world-leading expert in the field of bioinformatics and microbiology with more than 200 publications and 2000 citations and working as a professor at Seoul National University, Korea.
- Yang SJ, Kim BY, Chun J. 2017. Rejection of reclassification of Lactobacillus kimchii and Lactobacillus bobalius as later subjective synonyms of Lactobacillus paralimentarius using comparative genomics. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 67(11):4515-4517.
- Goodfellow M, Busarakam K, Idris H, Labeda DP, Nouioui I, Brown R, Kim BY, Del Carmen Montero-Calasanz M, Andrews BA, Bull AT. 2017. Streptomyces asenjonii sp. nov., isolated from hyper-arid Atacama Desert soils and emended description of Streptomyces viridosporus Pridham et al. 1958. Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek. 110(9):1133-1148.
- Amin A, Ahmed I, Salam N, Kim BY, Singh D, Zhi XY, Xiao M, Li WJ. 2017. Diversity and Distribution of Thermophilic Bacteria in Hot Springs of Pakistan. Microb Ecol. 74(1):116-127.
- Kim JY, Song HS, Kim YB, Kwon J, Choi JS, Cho YJ, Kim BY, Rhee JK, Myoung J, Nam YD, Roh SW. 2016. Genome sequence of a commensal bacterium, Enterococcus faecalis CBA7120, isolated from a Korean fecal sample. Gut Pathog. 25;8:62.
- Shin B, Kim BY, Cho E, Oh KB, Shin J, Goodfellow M, Oh DC. 2016. Actinomadurol, an Antibacterial Norditerpenoid from a Rare Actinomycete, Actinomadura sp. KC 191. J Nat Prod.22;79(7):1886-90.
- Yoon MY, Min KB, Lee KM, Yoon Y, Kim Y, Oh YT, Lee K, Chun J, Kim BY, Yoon SH, Lee I, Kim CY, Yoon SS. 2016. A single gene of a commensal microbe affects host susceptibility to enteric infection. Nat Commun. 13;7:11606.
- Ahmad M, Ok YS, Kim BY, Ahn JH, Lee YH, Zhang M, Moon DH, Al-Wabel MI, Lee SS. 2016. Impact of soybean stover- and pine needle-derived biochars on Pb and As mobility, microbial community, and carbon stability in a contaminated agricultural soil. J Environ Manage. 15;166:131-9.
- Ahn JH, Jeong WS, Choi MY, Kim BY, Song J, Weon HY. 2014. Phylogenetic diversity of dominant bacterial and archaeal communities in plant-microbial fuel cells using rice plants. J Microbiol Biotechnol. 28;24(12):1707-18
Expertise and research areas:
microbiome, probiotics, metagnenomics, systematic