Affiliation: Professor and Chair of the Department of Paediatrics at the Medical University of Warsaw
Hania Szajewska, MD, is Professor and Chair of the Department of Paediatrics at the Medical University of Warsaw. Since 1 March 2014, she has been serving as the Editor-in-Chief (Europe) of the Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition.
Prof. Szajewska has broad interests in paediatric nutrition but her research focuses on probiotics and prebiotics, the effects of early dietary interventions on later outcomes, acute and chronic diarrheal diseases, and coeliac disease. She is or has been actively involved in several European Union-funded projects (e.g., PREVENTCD; NUTRIMENTHE; EarlyNutrition). She is an enthusiastic advocate for the practice of evidence-based medicine.
Prof. Szajewska served as a member of the Council of the European Society for Paediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition (ESPGHAN), and more recently as the General Secretary of ESPGHAN. She also served as a member and then as the Secretary of the ESPGHAN Committee on Nutrition. Currently, she serves as the co-chairperson of the ESPGHAN Working Group on Probiotics and Prebiotics, and the chairperson of the ESPGHAN Working Group on Outcomes in Nutrition Trials.
Prof. Szajewska has published more than 200 publications and 25 book chapters. Citations 5144; Hirsh index 43 (Web of Science, February 2015).
- Efficacy and safety of gelatine tannate for the treatment of acute gastroenteritis in children: protocol of a randomised controlled trial. Michałek D, Kołodziej M, Konarska Z, Szajewska H.
BMJ Open. 2016 Feb 19;6(2):e010530. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2015-010530.
- Protein Concentration in Milk Formula, Growth, and Later Risk of Obesity: A Systematic Review.
Patro-Gołąb B, Zalewski BM, Kouwenhoven SM, Karaś J, Koletzko B, van Goudoever JB, Szajewska H.
J Nutr. 2016 Feb 10. pii: jn223651. [Epub ahead of print]
- Developing a core outcome measurement set for clinical trials in acute diarrhoea.
Karas J, Ashkenazi S, Guarino A, Lo Vecchio A, Shamir R, Vandenplas Y, Szajewska H; Consensus Group on Outcome Measures Made in Paediatric Enteral Nutrition Clinical Trials (COMMENT).
Acta Paediatr. 2016 Jan 29. doi: 10.1111/apa.13349. [Epub ahead of print]
- Gluten Introduction and The Risk of Coeliac Disease. A Position Paper By The European Society For Paediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology & Nutrition.
Szajewska H, Shamir R, Mearin ML, Koninckx CR, Catassi C, Domellöf M, Fewtrell MS, Husby S, Papadopoulou A, Vandenplas Y, Castillejo G, Kolacek S, Koletzko S, Korponay-Szabó IR, Lionetti E, Polanco I, Troncone R.
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2016 Jan 13. [Epub ahead of print]
- Effects of prenatal and/or postnatal supplementation with iron, PUFA or folic acid on neurodevelopment: update.
Chmielewska A, Dziechciarz P, Gieruszczak-Białek D, Horvath A, Pieścik-Lech M, Ruszczyński M, Skórka A, Szajewska H.
Br J Nutr. 2016 Jan 22:1-6. [Epub ahead of print]
- Probiotics for the Prevention of Antibiotic-Associated Diarrhea in Children.
Szajewska H, Canani RB, Guarino A, Hojsak I, Indrio F, Kolacek S, Orel R, Shamir R, Vandenplas Y, van Goudoever JB, Weizman Z; ESPGHAN Working Group for ProbioticsPrebiotics.
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2015 Dec 15. [Epub ahead of print]
- Primary Prevention of Celiac Disease: Environmental Factors with a Focus on Early Nutrition.
Chmielewska A, Pieścik-Lech M, Szajewska H, Shamir R.
Ann Nutr Metab. 2015;67 Suppl 2:43-50. doi: 10.1159/000440992. Epub 2015 Nov 26.
- Effect of iron supplementation on psychomotor development of non-anaemic, exclusively or predominantly breastfed infants: a randomised, controlled trial.
Chmielewska A, Chmielewski G, Domellöf M, Lewandowski Z, Szajewska H.
BMJ Open. 2015 Nov 24;5(11):e009441. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2015-009441.
- Functional gastro-intestinal disorder algorithms focus on early recognition, parental reassurance and nutritional strategies.
Vandenplas Y, Benninga M, Broekaert I, Falconer J, Gottrand F, Guarino A, Lifschitz C, Lionetti P, Orel R, Papadopoulou A, Ribes-Koninckx C, Ruemmele FM, Salvatore S, Shamir R, Schäppi M, Staiano A, Szajewska H, Thapar N, Wilschanski M.
Acta Paediatr. 2016 Mar;105(3):244-52. doi: 10.1111/apa.13270. Epub 2015 Dec 21. Review.
- The scale of the evidence base on the health effects of conventional yogurt consumption: findings of a scoping review.
Glanville JM, Brown S, Shamir R, Szajewska H, Eales JF.
Front Pharmacol. 2015 Oct 30;6:246. doi: 10.3389/fphar.2015.00246. eCollection 2015. Review.
- Effectiveness of Lactobacillus reuteri DSM 17938 for the Prevention of Nosocomial Diarrhea in Children: A Randomized, Double-blind, Placebo-controlled Trial.
Urbańska M, Gieruszczak-Białek D, Szymański H, Szajewska H.
Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2016 Feb;35(2):142-5. doi: 10.1097/INF.0000000000000948.
- Should Partial Hydrolysates Be Used as Starter Infant Formula? A Working Group Consensus.
Vandenplas Y, Alarcon P, Fleischer D, Hernell O, Kolacek S, Laignelet H, Lönnerdal B, Raman R, Rigo J, Salvatore S, Shamir R, Staiano A, Szajewska H, Van Goudoever HJ, von Berg A, Lee WS.
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2016 Jan;62(1):22-35. doi: 10.1097/MPG.0000000000001014.